CITY COUNCIL WORK SESSION
City of Garland
Work Session Room, City Hall
William E. Dollar Municipal Building
200 North Fifth Street
January 16, 2018
[Public comment will not be accepted during Work Session
|NOTICE: The City Council may recess from the open session and convene in a closed executive session if the discussion of any of the listed agenda items concerns one or more of the following matters:
(1) Pending/contemplated litigation, settlement offer(s), and matters concerning privileged and unprivileged client information deemed confidential by Rule 1.05 of the Texas Disciplinary Rules of Professional Conduct. Sec. 551.071, Tex. Gov't Code.
(2) The purchase, exchange, lease or value of real property, if the deliberation in an open meeting would have a detrimental effect on the position of the City in negotiations with a third person. Sec. 551.072, Tex. Gov't Code.
(3) A contract for a prospective gift or donation to the City, if the deliberation in an open meeting would have a detrimental effect on the position of the City in negotiations with a third person. Sec. 551.073, Tex. Gov't Code.
(4) Personnel matters involving the appointment, employment, evaluation, reassignment, duties, discipline or dismissal of a public officer or employee or to hear a complaint against an officer or employee. Sec. 551.074, Tex. Gov't Code.
(5) The deployment, or specific occasions for implementation of security personnel or devices. Sec. 551.076, Tex. Gov't Code.
(6) Discussions or deliberations regarding commercial or financial information that the City has received from a business prospect that the City seeks to have locate, stay, or expand in or near the territory of the City and with which the City is conducting economic development negotiations; or to deliberate the offer of a financial or other incentive to a business prospect of the sort described in this provision. Sec. 551.087, Tex. Gov't Code.
(7) Discussions, deliberations, votes, or other final action on matters related to the City’s competitive activity, including information that would, if disclosed, give advantage to competitors or prospective competitors and is reasonably related to one or more of the following categories of information:
|1.||Consider the Consent Agenda
A member of the City Council may ask for discussion or further information on an item posted as a consent agenda item on the next Regular Meeting of the City Council. The Council Member may also ask that an item on the posted consent agenda be pulled from the consent agenda and considered for a vote separate from consent agenda items on the regular agenda. All discussions or deliberations on this portion of the work session agenda are limited to posted agenda items and may not include a new or unposted subject matter.
South Garland Avenue Catalyst Area Plan Project Timeline
Council is requested to review the proposed draft project timeline for the South Garland Avenue Catalyst Area Plan. A Request for Proposals (RFP) seeking professional services has been released. Selection of a consultant will be brought forward for Council approval following the closing of the RFP. Unless otherwise directed by Council, staff will proceed with the proposed timeline.
Retirement Stability Benefit (RSB) for Civil Service Employees
City Council is requested to approve this request at the January 16 Regular Meeting. It is projected that on the February 16, 2018, paycheck, Civil Service employee contributions will be deducted and deposited into the 457(b) RSB plan, as well as the City contribution for eligible participants.
Preview of 2018 Proposed CIP
Staff will provide an overview of the 2018 Proposed Capital Improvement Program (CIP), which will be formally presented by the City Manager at the January 16, 2018, Regular City Council Meeting.
The Transportation Director will provide an update on the strategic transportation plan initiatives.
Resolution of support for LBJ East
Council is requested to consider a Resolution for support for the LBJ East project. This item will be scheduled for formal consideration at the January 16, 2018 Regular Meeting.
Resolutions for the Texas Department of Housing and Community Affairs 2018 Competitive Housing Tax Credit Grant Program
Council is requested to consider the applications from each developer. Council may approve a resolution in support of, a resolution of no-opposition or take no action on the applications. Each applicant will be allowed ten minutes per project presentation.
Council will discuss the recommendations of the citizens Charter Review Committee. Council is asked to provide direction to staff on recommendations it is prepared to approve. Council will also discuss the future timeline for adoption.
|4.||Announce Future Agenda Items
A member of the City Council, with a second by another member, or the Mayor alone, may ask that an item be placed on a future agenda of the City Council or a committee of the City Council. No substantive discussion of that item will take place at this time.