CITY COUNCIL WORK SESSION
City of Garland
Work Session Room, City Hall
William E. Dollar Municipal Building
200 North Fifth Street
February 20, 2018
[Public comment will not be accepted during Work Session
|NOTICE: The City Council may recess from the open session and convene in a closed executive session if the discussion of any of the listed agenda items concerns one or more of the following matters:
(1) Pending/contemplated litigation, settlement offer(s), and matters concerning privileged and unprivileged client information deemed confidential by Rule 1.05 of the Texas Disciplinary Rules of Professional Conduct. Sec. 551.071, Tex. Gov't Code.
(2) The purchase, exchange, lease or value of real property, if the deliberation in an open meeting would have a detrimental effect on the position of the City in negotiations with a third person. Sec. 551.072, Tex. Gov't Code.
(3) A contract for a prospective gift or donation to the City, if the deliberation in an open meeting would have a detrimental effect on the position of the City in negotiations with a third person. Sec. 551.073, Tex. Gov't Code.
(4) Personnel matters involving the appointment, employment, evaluation, reassignment, duties, discipline or dismissal of a public officer or employee or to hear a complaint against an officer or employee. Sec. 551.074, Tex. Gov't Code.
(5) The deployment, or specific occasions for implementation of security personnel or devices. Sec. 551.076, Tex. Gov't Code.
(6) Discussions or deliberations regarding commercial or financial information that the City has received from a business prospect that the City seeks to have locate, stay, or expand in or near the territory of the City and with which the City is conducting economic development negotiations; or to deliberate the offer of a financial or other incentive to a business prospect of the sort described in this provision. Sec. 551.087, Tex. Gov't Code.
(7) Discussions, deliberations, votes, or other final action on matters related to the City’s competitive activity, including information that would, if disclosed, give advantage to competitors or prospective competitors and is reasonably related to one or more of the following categories of information:
|1.||Consider the Consent Agenda
A member of the City Council may ask for discussion or further information on an item posted as a consent agenda item on the next Regular Meeting of the City Council. The Council Member may also ask that an item on the posted consent agenda be pulled from the consent agenda and considered for a vote separate from consent agenda items on the regular agenda. All discussions or deliberations on this portion of the work session agenda are limited to posted agenda items and may not include a new or unposted subject matter.
Police Contact Data
In accordance with the Texas “Racial Profiling” statute (Texas Code of Criminal Procedure Article 2.131 through 2.138), the Garland Police Department has been collecting police contact data for the purpose of identifying and responding to concerns regarding racial profiling since the statute's implementation in 2002. In accordance with the law, the Police Department is required to submit this report to the City Council by March 1st of each year for the data from the previous calendar year.
Parking Restrictions at Vial Elementary School
Council is requested to consider restricting parking on the north side of Creekview Drive between Duck Creek and 350 feet east of Duck Creek; also, prohibit parking for an additional 170 feet on the south side of Creekview Drive to improve safety at school driveways.
Staff presents the Portfolio Summary report to Council each quarter. The report is in compliance with the requirements of the Public Funds Investment Act. Management of the City's portfolios is conducted in accordance with the City Council Financial Policy, Statement of Investment Policy, and Statement of Investment Strategy.
2017-18 Budget Amendment No. 1
Council is requested to amend the 2017-18 Adopted Budget in order to appropriate available funds. Unless otherwise directed by Council, this item will be scheduled for formal consideration at the March 6, 2018 Regular Meeting.
Sale of Property - 113 Garfield Street
Council is requested to approve the sale of 113 Garfield Street to Mr. Jose Lopez and provide an executed deed without warranty. Unless otherwise directed by Council, this item will be scheduled for formal consideration at the March 6, 2018 Regular Meeting.
Baylor-Scott and White of Garland Update on Closing
Gary Brock Executive Vice President and Chief Integrated Delivery Network Officer for Baylor-Scott and White will provide an update on the closure of the Garland facility.
The Transportation Director will provide an update on the status of strategic transportation projects in Garland.
Formation of a Public Facility Corporation
Staff will provide Council with an update on the formation of a Public Facility Corporation as an additional tool to aide economic development. Unless otherwise directed by Council, this item will be scheduled for formal consideration at the February 20, 2018 Regular Meeting.
Review and Deliberation of 2018 Capital Improvement Program
Council will deliberate changes, if any, in the City Manager's Proposed Capital Plan.
|5.||Discuss Appointments to Boards and Commissions|
Mayor Douglas Athas
|6.||Announce Future Agenda Items
A member of the City Council, with a second by another member, or the Mayor alone, may ask that an item be placed on a future agenda of the City Council or a committee of the City Council. No substantive discussion of that item will take place at this time.