CITY COUNCIL WORK SESSION
City of Garland
Work Session Room, City Hall
William E. Dollar Municipal Building
200 North Fifth Street
Monday, May 20, 2019
[Public comment will not be accepted during Work Session
|NOTICE: The City Council may recess from the open session and convene in a closed executive session if the discussion of any of the listed agenda items concerns one or more of the following matters:
(1) Pending/contemplated litigation, settlement offer(s), and matters concerning privileged and unprivileged client information deemed confidential by Rule 1.05 of the Texas Disciplinary Rules of Professional Conduct. Sec. 551.071, Tex. Gov't Code.
(2) The purchase, exchange, lease or value of real property, if the deliberation in an open meeting would have a detrimental effect on the position of the City in negotiations with a third person. Sec. 551.072, Tex. Gov't Code.
(3) A contract for a prospective gift or donation to the City, if the deliberation in an open meeting would have a detrimental effect on the position of the City in negotiations with a third person. Sec. 551.073, Tex. Gov't Code.
(4) Personnel matters involving the appointment, employment, evaluation, reassignment, duties, discipline or dismissal of a public officer or employee or to hear a complaint against an officer or employee. Sec. 551.074, Tex. Gov't Code.
(5) The deployment, or specific occasions for implementation of security personnel or devices. Sec. 551.076, Tex. Gov't Code.
(6) Discussions or deliberations regarding commercial or financial information that the City has received from a business prospect that the City seeks to have locate, stay, or expand in or near the territory of the City and with which the City is conducting economic development negotiations; or to deliberate the offer of a financial or other incentive to a business prospect of the sort described in this provision. Sec. 551.087, Tex. Gov't Code.
(7) Discussions, deliberations, votes, or other final action on matters related to the City’s competitive activity, including information that would, if disclosed, give advantage to competitors or prospective competitors and is reasonably related to one or more of the following categories of information:
|1.||Consider the Consent Agenda
A member of the City Council may ask for discussion or further information on an item posted as a consent agenda item on the next Regular Meeting of the City Council. The Council Member may also ask that an item on the posted consent agenda be pulled from the consent agenda and considered for a vote separate from consent agenda items on the regular agenda. All discussions or deliberations on this portion of the work session agenda are limited to posted agenda items and may not include a new or unposted subject matter.
Texas Department of Transportation's S.T.E.P. - "Click It or Ticket" - Grant
Council is requested to consider accepting a Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) - Selective Traffic Enforcement Program (S.T.E.P.) - Click It or Ticket Grant. Unless otherwise directed by Council, this item will be scheduled for formal consideration at the May 21, 2019 Regular Meeting.
2019 Capital Improvement Program Budget Amendment No. 2
Council is requested to approve the Capital Improvement Program Amendment No. 2 as proposed. Unless otherwise directed by Council, this item will be scheduled for formal consideration at the June 4, 2019 Regular Meeting.
Water Conservation and Resource Emergency Management Plans
Every five years the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality requires public utilities that provide potable water service to 3,300 or more connections to update their Water Conservation and Resource Emergency Management Plan. This plan reflects conservation measures, best management practices, and historical water use and outlines emergency actions when the water supply is threatened by drought, equipment failure or other scenarios that could impact water deliveries. Unless otherwise directed by Council, this item will be scheduled for formal consideration at the June 4, 2019 Regular Meeting.
Internal Audit Committee Report
Mayor Pro Tem, Rich Aubin, Chair of the Internal Audit Committee, will provide a committee report on the following items:
New City Website Preview
The City of Garland will roll out a new redesigned government website later this week. Staff will provide a brief preview.
Discuss Property Tax Homestead and Senior Exemptions
Staff will make a presentation regarding the impacts of increasing the property tax homestead and senior exemptions. Currently, the City of Garland homestead exemption is set at 8% of appraised value and the senior exemption is set at a flat dollar amount of $51,000 of appraised value. Amendments to the homestead and/or senior exemptions must be approved by City Council by July 1, 2019.
|4.||Discuss Appointments to Boards and Commissions|
Council Member Robert John Smith
|5.||Announce Future Agenda Items
A member of the City Council, with a second by another member, or the Mayor alone, may ask that an item be placed on a future agenda of the City Council or a committee of the City Council. No substantive discussion of that item will take place at this time.