CITY COUNCIL WORK SESSION
City of Garland
Work Session Room, City Hall
William E. Dollar Municipal Building
200 North Fifth Street
Monday, June 3, 2019
[Public comment will not be accepted during Work Session
|NOTICE: The City Council may recess from the open session and convene in a closed executive session if the discussion of any of the listed agenda items concerns one or more of the following matters:
(1) Pending/contemplated litigation, settlement offer(s), and matters concerning privileged and unprivileged client information deemed confidential by Rule 1.05 of the Texas Disciplinary Rules of Professional Conduct. Sec. 551.071, Tex. Gov't Code.
(2) The purchase, exchange, lease or value of real property, if the deliberation in an open meeting would have a detrimental effect on the position of the City in negotiations with a third person. Sec. 551.072, Tex. Gov't Code.
(3) A contract for a prospective gift or donation to the City, if the deliberation in an open meeting would have a detrimental effect on the position of the City in negotiations with a third person. Sec. 551.073, Tex. Gov't Code.
(4) Personnel matters involving the appointment, employment, evaluation, reassignment, duties, discipline or dismissal of a public officer or employee or to hear a complaint against an officer or employee. Sec. 551.074, Tex. Gov't Code.
(5) The deployment, or specific occasions for implementation of security personnel or devices. Sec. 551.076, Tex. Gov't Code.
(6) Discussions or deliberations regarding commercial or financial information that the City has received from a business prospect that the City seeks to have locate, stay, or expand in or near the territory of the City and with which the City is conducting economic development negotiations; or to deliberate the offer of a financial or other incentive to a business prospect of the sort described in this provision. Sec. 551.087, Tex. Gov't Code.
(7) Discussions, deliberations, votes, or other final action on matters related to the City’s competitive activity, including information that would, if disclosed, give advantage to competitors or prospective competitors and is reasonably related to one or more of the following categories of information:
|1.||Consider the Consent Agenda
A member of the City Council may ask for discussion or further information on an item posted as a consent agenda item on the next Regular Meeting of the City Council. The Council Member may also ask that an item on the posted consent agenda be pulled from the consent agenda and considered for a vote separate from consent agenda items on the regular agenda. All discussions or deliberations on this portion of the work session agenda are limited to posted agenda items and may not include a new or unposted subject matter.
Shepherd Drive and Briarwood Drive Parking Restrictions
Council is requested to revise existing parking restrictions on Shepherd Drive to extend for the full length of Shepherd Drive on both sides of the street at all times, and establish a no parking anytime zone on the north side of Briarwood from Evergreen Street to 475 feet south. Unless otherwise directed by Council, this item will be scheduled for formal consideration at the June 18, 2019 Regular Meeting.
Project Supplemental Agreement with Dallas County for MGR Bikeway (Duck Creek Trail Connections)
Council is requested to adopt a resolution which authorizes the City Manager to execute the attached PSA with Dallas County for the construction of the MGR Bikeway (Duck Creek Trail Connections). Unless otherwise directed by Council, this item will be scheduled for formal consideration at the June 18, 2019 Regular Meeting.
Council will be updated on DART's services, activities, programs and projects within Garland.
Discuss Possible Memorandum of Understanding with DART regarding Transit Oriented Development Opportunities in Garland.
Staff will make a presentation regarding entering into a possible Memorandum of Understanding with DART, in regards to rail stations and bus transit centers located within Garland. The purpose would be to jointly explore development potentials at the sites for transit-oriented developments; a Request for Qualifications (RFQ) for one or more sites may be issued to seek private developers with which to partner. The goal is to increase ridership for Garland residents and visitors and create growing, sustainable communities that would provide economic, environmental, and social benefits. DART staff will be available as well.
"Where the Heart Is" Status Update
Office of Neighborhood Vitality will provide an update to the City Council regarding the 2019 implementation of the Where the Heart Is program.
Residential Building Permit Fee Schedule
The City of Garland bases building permit fees on the construction value for each project. With the passage of HB 852 on May 21st, 2019, the City of Garland's residential building permit fee schedule became invalid. An alternate permit fee schedule will need to be adopted.
Council Member Deborah Morris' Briefing on Texas Downtown Association Regional Roundtable
Council Member Deborah Morris will update the Council on her attendance at the Texas Downtown Association Regional Roundtable hosted in Downtown Garland.
|4.||Announce Future Agenda Items
A member of the City Council, with a second by another member, or the Mayor alone, may ask that an item be placed on a future agenda of the City Council or a committee of the City Council. No substantive discussion of that item will take place at this time.
|5.||Council will move into Executive Session|
EXECUTIVE SESSIONNOTICE: The City Council may recess from the open session and convene in a closed executive session if the discussion of any of the listed agenda items concerns one or more of the following matters:
|Deliberate City of Garland Network Security Information: A governmental body may adjourn into executive session pursuant to Sec. 551.089 of the Texas Government Code to discuss and deliberate (1) security assessments or deployments relating to information resources technology, (2) network security information as described by Section 2059.055(b), or (3) the deployment, or specific occasions for implementation, of security personnel, critical infrastructure, or security devices.