CITY COUNCIL WORK SESSION
City of Garland
Work Session Room, City Hall
William E. Dollar Municipal Building
200 North Fifth Street
October 1, 2018
[Public comment will not be accepted during Work Session
|NOTICE: The City Council may recess from the open session and convene in a closed executive session if the discussion of any of the listed agenda items concerns one or more of the following matters:
(1) Pending/contemplated litigation, settlement offer(s), and matters concerning privileged and unprivileged client information deemed confidential by Rule 1.05 of the Texas Disciplinary Rules of Professional Conduct. Sec. 551.071, Tex. Gov't Code.
(2) The purchase, exchange, lease or value of real property, if the deliberation in an open meeting would have a detrimental effect on the position of the City in negotiations with a third person. Sec. 551.072, Tex. Gov't Code.
(3) A contract for a prospective gift or donation to the City, if the deliberation in an open meeting would have a detrimental effect on the position of the City in negotiations with a third person. Sec. 551.073, Tex. Gov't Code.
(4) Personnel matters involving the appointment, employment, evaluation, reassignment, duties, discipline or dismissal of a public officer or employee or to hear a complaint against an officer or employee. Sec. 551.074, Tex. Gov't Code.
(5) The deployment, or specific occasions for implementation of security personnel or devices. Sec. 551.076, Tex. Gov't Code.
(6) Discussions or deliberations regarding commercial or financial information that the City has received from a business prospect that the City seeks to have locate, stay, or expand in or near the territory of the City and with which the City is conducting economic development negotiations; or to deliberate the offer of a financial or other incentive to a business prospect of the sort described in this provision. Sec. 551.087, Tex. Gov't Code.
(7) Discussions, deliberations, votes, or other final action on matters related to the City’s competitive activity, including information that would, if disclosed, give advantage to competitors or prospective competitors and is reasonably related to one or more of the following categories of information:
|1.||Consider the Consent Agenda
A member of the City Council may ask for discussion or further information on an item posted as a consent agenda item on the next Regular Meeting of the City Council. The Council Member may also ask that an item on the posted consent agenda be pulled from the consent agenda and considered for a vote separate from consent agenda items on the regular agenda. All discussions or deliberations on this portion of the work session agenda are limited to posted agenda items and may not include a new or unposted subject matter.
Sale of Property - 1510 High Meadow Drive
Council is requested to approve the sale of 1510 High Meadow Drive to Mr. Marco Garcia and provide an executed deed without warranty. Unless otherwise directed by Council, this item will be scheduled for formal consideration at the October 16, 2018 Regular Meeting.
Sale of Property - 517 Parker Circle
Council is requested to approve the sale of 517 Parker Circle to Mr. Marco Garcia and provide an executed deed without warranty. Unless otherwise directed by Council, this item will be scheduled for formal consideration at the October 16, 2018 Regular Meeting.
Funding Application to the Texas Water Development Board, Drinking Water State Revolving Fund
Council is requested to approve a resolution authorizing the City Manager to submit a funding application to the Texas Water Development Board (TWDB) through the Drinking Water State Revolving Fund. Unless otherwise directed by Council, this item will be scheduled for formal consideration at the October 1, 2018 Regular Meeting.
IH 635 East Update by TxDOT and NCTCOG
NCTCOG Director of Transportation Michael Morris and a TxDOT Dallas District representative will present an update of the IH 635 East project and be available to answer any questions from Council.
Property Standards Board Overview and Update
The Property Standards Board will provide an overview on the powers of the Board and update on case activity for the 2018 calendar year.
Update on Progress and Implementation of Proposed 2019 Bond Referendum
Representatives from Kimley-Horn and City Staff will provide an update to the Council regarding public input, community meetings, anticipated timelines and other information related to the proposed 2019 Bond Program.
Skate Park Comparisons
As requested by the City Council on September 4, 2018, staff is presenting examples of skate parks in Texas in order to draw comparisons of size, amenities, and level of complexity so as to help the Council form a course of action and funding allocation for the proposed Garland skate park.
Parks, Recreation and Cultural Arts Facility Use Agreements
Staff will provide Council a report on the policies and practices of Facility Use Agreements in the Parks, Recreation and Cultural Arts Department.
Discuss the possible relocation of the July 4th event from Firewheel Mall to Downtown Garland
At the request of Council Member Jim Bookhout and Mayor Lori Barnett Dodson, Council is requested to discuss the possible relocation of the July 4th event to Downtown Garland.
Central Park Inclusive Playground - Project Budget Options
Staff will present background information and considerations for alternate budget options related to the construction of the Central Park Playground, which is designed with wheelchair access to elevated and ground level play components, incorporating inclusive play beyond minimum accessibility requirements and accommodations.
Public Safety Committee Report
Council Member Scott LeMay, Chairman of the Public Safety Committee (PSC), and Chief Mitch Bates, Staff Liaison to the PSC, will provide a committee report on the following items:
|4.||Announce Future Agenda Items
A member of the City Council, with a second by another member, or the Mayor alone, may ask that an item be placed on a future agenda of the City Council or a committee of the City Council. No substantive discussion of that item will take place at this time.
|5.||Council will move into Executive Session|
EXECUTIVE SESSIONNOTICE: The City Council may recess from the open session and convene in a closed executive session if the discussion of any of the listed agenda items concerns one or more of the following matters:
|The City Council will adjourn into executive session pursuant to Section 551.072, Texas Government Code to deliberate the purchase, exchange, lease or value of real property generally located within the City of Garland, in the area of State Highway 66, between Dairy Road and South First Street.|